The name of the village of Chambolle comes from Campus Ebolliens or "Boiling Field," which describes the liveliness of the river that runs through the town after the storms.

In 312, was the first written description of the vineyard of the Côte d'Or by a disciple of Eumenes.

From the early sixth century, the introduction of Christianity will promote the expansion of vineyards in the creation of important areas related to the abbeys. In 1110, the Latin name of Chambolle, evolves in Cambola . In the thirteenth century, Chambolle began to evolved when the brothers "Convers" of Cluny, came to live in the village, they planted the vines and made wine.

In the year 1395, Philip the Bold decided to improve the quality of wines and prohibits the cultivation of Gamay for the benefit of Pinot Noir in his lands. Finally in 1416, Charles VI stated by an edict the limits of wine production in Burgundy. On the death of Charles the Bold, the vineyards of Burgundy was annexed to France during the reign of Louis XI.

In 1828, in this village, there were 190 hectares of vineyards and 258 hectares in 1870. From 1830 to 1870, several plagues fell upon the vine, such as corn borer, powdery mildew, downy mildew and phylloxera.

In 1882 the name of Musigny came to complet the name of Chambolle.

On 11 September 1936 saw the creation of Chambolle-Musigny AOC. In the same year 1936, the names are created Bonnes Mares and Musigny. Appearance of the straddle tractor in the years 1960-70, which replace the horse. In the late 1970s, the vineyard had 197 hectares including 24 hectares of grand cru.

With the heat wave of 2003, the harvest began in some areas in mid-August, a month early, early harvests that had not seen since 1422 and 1865.

Today, the vineyards of Chambolle Musigny has 172 hectares. There is in the vineyards of Chambolle-Musigny, 24 climates classified Premier Cru and two climates classified Grand Cru (Bonnes Mares and Musigny). The soils are calcareous and contain irregular rocks, marls, sands, red silts and boulders crushed.